Make a difference in the community by taking advantage of the city’s recycling services. SOCRRA (Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority) is now accepting more than ever! Check out all the items you can recycle:
• All plastic containers (discard hard plastic caps)
• All papers, paperback books, Yellowbook phone books, mail, newspapers, magazines and phone books (place together in plastic or paper grocery bag)
• Place shredded paper in a see-through plastic bag
• Clear, brown, blue and green glass bottles
• Household batteries (secure in clear bag)
• Empty metal cans, small scrap metal objects and large metal items (place next to recycle bin) such as: grills, bikes, lawn mowers, washers, dryers and water heaters
All recyclables must be placed in an appropriately marked recycle bin. Pick up your recycle bins (18 gallon) for $12 at our Department of Public Services office (located at 851 S. Eton) or SOCRRA located at 995 Coolidge in Troy (between 14 & 15 Mile Roads, across from Meijer's gas station) - cash or check only please! Keep in mind the city does not sell the 95 gallon recycling carts. The current refuse contract with Car Trucking, only allows for the 18 gallon recycling bins to be used.
View our Curbside Recycling Guidelines to see what items to place in your recycle bin. View the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Guide to see how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste and electronics which you cannot place in your recycle bin.
Recycling is collected on the same day your trash is collected. Be sure to set out by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection, and keep several feet between recyclables and other items out for collection such as trash and yard waste.
Dual Refuse, Recycling & Compost Trucks. Car Trucking (the City's refuse hauler) has purchased several dual purpose trucks. These trucks have two separate sides which allow them to take either trash, recyclables or compost.