Questions? Chat Now / Send Email

Request email notification when page changes Email Notify - Click on the envelope icon to receive e-mail notifications when this page has been updated.

Animal Control & Pet Regulations

Pet Regulations

Animal Control

Wildlife Trapping 

Rodent Control

Pet Regulations

dog leash signDuty to Keep Confined - It shall be unlawful for any owner of any dog to permit the dog to go beyond the premises of such owner unless restrained by a chain or leash and under the reasonable control of some person.

Barking Dog - No person shall harbor or keep any dog which, by loud or frequent or habitual barking, yelping or howling, shall cause a serious annoyance to the neighborhood, or to people passing on the leash streetscape - Copy

License Required - All dogs and cats four months old or over must have a license. All dogs and cats shall be immunized against rabies, prior to issuance of a license.

Sanitation - It shall be unlawful for any person to permit any animal owned or harbored by him to deposit fecal matter in any place other than the premises where the animal is harbored or kept, unless such fecal matter is immediately collected and removed to the premises where the animal is harbored or kept.

It shall be unlawful for any person to walk any animal on any property not owned by such person, whether public or private, unless such person has an appropriate device for the collection of fecal matter in his immediate possession and an appropriate depository for the transmission of fecal matter to the premises where the animal is harbored or kept.

If you have any other questions regarding the Animal Ordinance you may call the Police Department at 248.530.1889 or the City Clerks office at 248.530.1880

 Animal Control
To report a stray dog, contact the Birmingham Police Department Communications Center at 248.530.1889. Officers do not respond to reports of a stray cat. Wild animals on private property are the responsibility of the homeowner, unless the animal is sick or injured. For private property animal complaints, you may contact your preferred animal control services provider or A & D Animal Control at 248.693.7966.  

Stray domestic animals will be housed for five calendar days at Gasow Veterinary Hospital, 36877 Woodward Avenue, Birmingham, 48009, you may contact Gasow Veterinary Hospital at 248.644.7171.

The procedure for release of impounded animals is as follows:

  1. Owner must report to Birmingham Police Department (151 Martin Street) and show proof of the animal’s valid license. A $25.00 impound fee will be assessed for the first offense and $50.00 for the second offense in the same year. A receipt will be provided to the animal owner.
  2. The receipt will be taken to Gasow Veterinary Hospital during the following business hours:
    • Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
    • Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    • Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

*All boarding fees and necessary medical charges will be paid to Gasow by the animal owner at time of release.

Wildlife Trapping
To trap or remove wild or nuisance animals, residents should contact a private animal control service. There are several companies who have worked successfully in the City of Birmingham and surrounding areas for a number of years. They include: A&D Animal Control (248) 693.7966, A & M Animal Control (248) 240-5265, and Critter Control (734) 397.4800.