-- documents Feed--
-- All of Bhamgov Feed --

Zoning Information

Print this page
Text resize increase font size decrease font size

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my property zoned?

To determine the zoning for a particular parcel, zoning maps are available in the Community Development Department.

Can I operate a business out of my home?
Generally, businesses are permitted if the following conditions are met:

  • All employees must live in the house;
  • No signage;
  • shall not generate traffic, noise or other nuisances in a greater volume than normally would be expected in a residential neighborhood;
  • No more than 25% of the gross area of the building may be used for the business.
May I operate a particular business in a particular zoning district?
The Zoning Ordinance limits land uses to particular zoning districts. For information regarding whether a particular use is permitted, Zoning Ordinances are available from the City Clerk and the Community Development Department, and the City Planner is also available for question.
Does the City limit where my home may be placed on my lot?

The Zoning Ordinance regulates the size of lots as well as the placement of a residence on a lot. Typically, these restrictions regarding placement are referred to as setbacks, which means the distance a structure must be placed or setback from the lot line. Anyone contemplating building a new house or addition should contact the Community Development Department for setback information. Required setbacks may be different today than when your home was constructed.

Is there a limitation on the amount of paved surface in the front yard of a home?

The Zoning Ordinance limits the amount of paved surface, which is defined as concrete, blacktop, gravel, brick or a similar material, in the front yard. The Ordinance requires a minimum of 65% of the front open space be free of paved surfaces. Click here for more information on front yard paving.

How can I view the Zoning Ordinances and Zoning Map?