Updated: Sep 9, 2021
Print this page
The Birmingham Museum was established in May 2001 at the former Marion and Harry Allen House and surrounding four acres. It includes the oldest house in Oakland County, the 1822 John West Hunter House as well as the 1928 Allen House. These historic structures are linked by a public plaza, the gateway to the grounds, which were dedicated in 2007 as the John West Hunter Historic Park. The landscape includes some of the most complex and diverse topography, including a spring fed pond and connection to the Rouge River corridor, all just a short walk from downtown Birmingham. The Allen House features changing exhibits about Birmingham and its heritage, while the Hunter House (also listed on the National Register of Historic Places) reflects 19th century pioneer life in the settlement. Watch a brief promotional video produced by Birmingham Bloomfield Cable Television.
The museum works in partnership with other community organizations, such as the Friends of the Birmingham Museum (also known as the Birmingham Historical Society) and the Baldwin Public Library. Together, we provide public tours, entertaining lectures, and special events, such as our popular adult lecture series and children's storytime in the historic Hunter House. Twice a year, the Friends host guided tours of historic Greenwood Cemetery, and also provide self-guided tours for visitors all year round. They also assist with lectures and historic research, a specialized service are also available at the museum.