-- documents Feed--
-- All of Bhamgov Feed --

Frequently Asked Questions

Print this page
Text resize increase font size decrease font size

Don't see the answer to your question or need more information?  Call the Building Department at 248.530.1850.

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply for a permit for my project?

The permit should be applied for and received prior to any work taking place.

What work requires a Building Permit?
For single family homes, a permit is required for the construction of new homes, additions, renovations,a deck, porch (with or without a roof), an attached or detached garage or shed, windows & siding, basement finish, basement waterproofing, and a pool (either above or in-ground). A new roof or repair of an existing roof also requires a building permit.  Please keep in mind that there are other project types that could require a permit, please call our office if you have questions.

For commercial buildings, any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, all of which is regulated by this code, will require a building permit. All exterior changes, including, but not limited to painting and signage must be approved by the Planning Department before the Building Department can issue a permit for the project.  You can contact  the Planning Department at 248.530.1850
If demolition is required for either commercial or residential structures, a Demolition Permit is required.

If there are any questions regarding the need for a building or demolition permit, you may contact a Building Inspector.
When are inspectors available for questions?
Generally, the inspectors are in the office and available for questions between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., as well as between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
How do I schedule a building, mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing inspection?
Inspections can be requested on-line by visiting the City's BS&A webpage.  Once you are on this site, click on "Municipalities" and search for the City of Birmingham. Follow the prompts to create an account.  Once you have created an account, call the Building Department and link to your account to the City of Birmingham.  If you are already linked,  click "Schedule an Inspection" under the Building Department heading and follow the prompts. 
Does the installation of a fence require a permit?
Yes, a Fence Permit is required. There is a $50 permit fee.
Do I need an Electrical Permit?

In most cases, all electrical work requires a Electrical Permit Application. Public Act 217 requires a licensed electrical contractor to apply for the permit, and a licensed electrician must be on-site when electrical work is being performed.

A residential property owner may apply for and receive a homeowner's permit, however, the homeowner must actually do the work. It is illegal for a homeowner to receive a permit when someone else does the work.

When do I need a Plumbing Permit?
Generally, whenever any plumbing work is being done, a Plumbing Permit is required.  A licensed Master Plumber is required to apply for, and receive this permit.
Why do I need a plot plan to install a refrigeration unit?
Air conditioner condensers are considered accessory structures, and accessory structures are not permitted in the required side yard. If you have a question regarding the placement of an air conditioner, please contact the Mechanical Inspector at 248.530.1857.
Do I need a permit to install a furnace?
Yes, a heating permit is required.  Download the Mechanical Permit Application.

If demolition work is taking place, for either commercial or residential structures, a Demolition Permit Applicationis required to be submitted.  If there are any questions regarding the need for a Demolition Permit, please contact one of our Building Inspectors.  248.530.1850
Can the City recommend a contractor?
The City cannot recommend contractors.
Does the City limit where my home may be placed on my lot?
The Zoning Ordinance regulates the size of lots as well as the placement of a residence on a lot. Typically, these restrictions regarding placement are referred to as setbacks, which means the distance a structure must be placed or setback from the lot line.

Anyone contemplating building a new house or addition should contact the Building Department for setback information. Required setbacks may be different today than when your home was constructed.
What is the role of the Board of Zoning Appeals and when does the Board meet?
The Board hears appeals from the City's Zoning Ordinance. These appeals are typically variances from setback requirements. The Board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the City Commission Room of the Municipal Building. To file an appeal, a Board of Zoning Appeals Application and the required information must be submitted by the 12th of the month preceding the meeting. The Board's agenda is restricted to seven (7) items, so the first seven applications received will be heard at the meeting.
Is there a limitation on the amount of paved surface in the front yard of a home?
The Zoning Ordinance limits the amount of paved surface which is defined as concrete, blacktop, gravel, brick, or a similar material in the front yard. The Ordinance requires a minimum of 65% of the front open space be free of paved surfaces. 
Does the City enforce deed restrictions?
The City does not enforce deed restrictions. Typically, deed restrictions are enforced by Subdivision Associations. Any deed restrictions are recorded at the Oakland County Register of Deeds.
What inspections or approvals are required to obtain a Final Certificate of Occupancy?
Before the Building Inspector will issue a Final Certificate of Occupancy, final mechanical, electrical, and plumbing inspections must be completed and approved.
What do I need to know prior to installing my swimming pool/spa?
Please contact the Building Department for swimming pool and spa regulations.  248.530.1850
Are there specifications for garages and other outbuildings?