Print this page
The grounds around the Birmingham Museum are part of Birmingham's earliest history. The site includes:
- historic and natural features valued by Indigenous Peoples that hearken back to the melting of the glaciers and formation of the Rouge River valley
- the original land parcel purchased by Elijah Willits in 1818, one of the first landowners in what became Birmingham
- the current location of the oldest house in Oakland County--the John West Hunter House
- the site of the first brick school built in Birmingham in 1853
- the site of the 1926 Harry and Marion Clizbe Allen House, including the existing Colonial revival house and vestiges of the Allens' 'swimming pool' in the spring fed pond
- and the final resting place of the 1902 Hill School Bell, housed in a protective structure in the plaza.